The Telephone Exchange
Geelong Victoria 1997-1999
Building Area 1000m²
The Telephone Exchange is located in the central civic precinct of Geelong. This building originally built in 1939, designed by Buchan Laird & Bawden, was decommissioned in the early 1990’s prior to being purchased by Kempe International, a locally based engineering company, to establish their head office.
The project required considerable refurbishment of the old building, especially with the existing steel framed windows, rendered walls and external concrete tiled front facade.
The internal fit out involved two levels with more enclosed private offices for the administration and management located on the ground floor contrasting with a more open space for the engineering design section on the second floor.
Material selection has overt references to the manufacturing and engineering discipline of the company as well as faithfully restoring the original building.